The Summer Isles: A Voyage of the Imagination

43214110


My review for Goodreads...

23600052
's review
 ·  edit

it was amazing
Read 2 times. Last read November 7, 2019 to November 8, 2019.

I loved this book. I am a bluewater sailor, and I found his account as a novice taking on the west coasts of Ireland and Scotland refreshing. I know that coast well and always find it mesmerizing, so I found it fascinating that he too saw in it what I know. The magical, mystical majesty of it. I saw it freshly though his fascination.

I found it interesting that Marsden has such a depth of knowledge of Irish history, lore and language. Since I moved to Ireland, I have been learning and sharing the history and lore especially of the islands off the west coast, and this is exactly what Marsden does. He colours in the details with a depth of understanding that a reader needs to experience this place.

The sailing aspect of it should not make anyone shy away as it is not overwhelming in the story. No, the story is one of remembering fondly a time and place when one's soul found joy and happiness that the mind seeks to recreate. And in the journey to that destination, one finds fulfilment of a different kind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 30+ Sailing Movies

Top Ten Books about Sailing (non-fiction)

Top Ten+ Novels Based on Sailing (fiction)