Book review: Facing Fear


I first heard about Lisa Blair after news of her dismasting in the Southern Ocean some 1000 miles from anywhere in a furious storm. I was so moved by her story of courage and survival instinct that I nominated her for the OCC Seamanship Award, which she won. As the person responsible for the OCC PR effort, I then had the pleasure of corresponding with her to get information and photos I needed for press contacts. I was mightily impressed and inspired. 

Imagine how thrilled I was when I learned a couple of years later that she was writing a book about her experience and she had joined the Women Who Sail Who Write group. I asked Lisa for an advance review copy which she gladly sent to me during lockdown from Australia (at great expense I noticed -- sorry about that Lisa -- next time pdf). 

I have since devoured Facing Fear in two consecutive days. I couldn't put it down. She had me hooked from the first page. The first woman to circumnavigate Antarctica, she had intended to do it solo and nonstop. But 72 days into the attempt, the Mast of s/v Climate Action Now came down in a furious storm. She nearly didn't survive but, recognising that her only chance was to overcome her fear and save herself and her boat, she persevered. She cut away the rigging in freezing cold temperature with monstrous waves washing over her, threatening to throw her off the boat and into the sea. There was no one who could come to rescue her if she didn't make it happen then. 

The account of her ordeal is riveting, nailbiting and addictive. It reads like a thriller yet for the offshore sailor it is full of practical experience should you -- God forbid -- face a similar circumstance. The obstacles she faced and how she overcame them were instructive. She jury-rigged a mast and sails and proceeded to motor sail to South Africa for repairs. She needed more fuel and she got it, but not without significant peril. I'll let you read that harrowing part yourself. (This is no All is lost!)

I was completely bowled over by this 5'2" dynamo who wouldn't give in. She had an unconventional upbringing in Australia's outback, was impaired by a condition similar to dyslexia, was bullied in school, and didn't fit in anywhere...yet this amazing woman beat the odds and the elements to continue on and complete her mission on another day. I cannot wait to see what she does next. She is young and full of adventure. Bravo Zulu, Lisa Blair. 


Lisa Blair Sails the World 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 30+ Sailing Movies

Top Ten Books about Sailing (non-fiction)

Top Ten+ Novels Based on Sailing (fiction)