Rediscovering early leisure sailors

 

Vito Dumas

At the ICC Annual Dinner, we launched a new edition of Conor O Brien's book, Across Three Oceans. That was one of the first voyages around the world by private vessel. The first after Slocum, I believe.

Right after that, I learned about the first woman who crossed the Atlantic Ocean solo nonstop,  Nicolette Milnes-Walker, and wrote a book about it under duress. I bought the book, When I put out to sea, but have not read it yet. It's a first edition (and only edition I believe). 

Today, I encountered an article about the Argentinian, Vito Dumas, about whom I had read long ago. He was the first to circumnavigate nonstop via the Roaring 40s.  His book, The Impossible Road, is in Spanish and French from what I could find. I found an English version for sale in Canada, under a different title  Alone Through the Roaring Forties: The Voyage of Lehg II, and bought it. I believe it's a first edition. There appear to be other editions from 2003 and 2001. 

John W. Doull, Bookseller

https://www.doullbooks.com › product › Alone-Through...

The Impossible Road Vito Dumas from www.doullbooks.com

"Vito Dumas is an Argentinian who made one of the most remarkable single-handed ... the roaring forties which he justly describes as "The impossible route".

CA$45.00

I'm going to make it a quest to collect first editions of every book of early cruising adventures. 

Comments

  1. Awesome information! Such a wonderful reference! Thanks for all the hard work you have obviously put into this!

    ny boat charters

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 30+ Sailing Movies

Top Ten Books about Sailing (non-fiction)

Top Ten+ Novels Based on Sailing (fiction)