Delivery of Aleria from Clew Bay to Killybegs: Day 2

It was a lovely morning and we were soon underway, thinking we might stop in to Inishmurray if the forecast for a calm day proved true. At this point, it was not. Once again we were soaring up the North Mayo coast in a SE. Then we realized it was almost 70 miles to Killybegs. That's a long day. We'd have to go straight there.

We passed inside the Stags on a perfect course heading for Teelin doing more than 9 knots with the current; we couldn't make Killybegs on our current heading as the wind had backed to ESE and we were hard on the wind, trimming sails to the shifts as if in a dinghy. The chop was surprisingly uncomfortable out there. It was going to be a long trip bashing into the waves  on a beat all day.

Leaving Portnafrankagh
Then the wind veered to SE again and for a couple of hours I was able to point directly at Killybegs with the current pushing us along at about 8 knots. When Alex took the helm it backed again and started to die out. Soon we were doing only about 4 knots and not in a direction that would get us where we wanted to go. So we started up the "iron genny" and pointed directly at Killybegs, motor sailing at more than 7 knots.

When the wind died altogether, the chop lessened and we were able to furl the headsail and take the others down. Now we could motor at full speed directly to the anchorage.  I revved her up to 2800 rpm, and she purred along happily.

We arrived at Killybegs after dark and fortunately all of our lights were working. Several fishing boats came out as we were heading in. We dropped anchor in Walker's Bay, way out of the way of the massive trawlers coming and going around the clock. The din in the harbour from the engines kept running around the clock is just amazing. Once you notice it, you cannot unnotice it.

The next morning was supposed to be calm and clear, perfect weather in which to take down and stow the sails and dodger. That's what we did ... on deck. Not easy, but not too bad. At least it was relatively dry after the dew dried up. We got it done before the wind started piping up.

Passing the bleak and craggy North Mayo Atlantic coast
As we were hauling out on the high tide at Mooney's, we made our way over to their mooring beside the Travelift well. They were ready for us early and as the tide was higher than expected, they wanted to take us right away.  Of course the wind piped up just as we were backing in and it turned out to be like a Marx brothers skit, but we made it in and hauled in plenty of time. They are so good to us there.

We cleaned up and retired to the Tara Hotel where we had a bath, drinks and fine dinner. The bus ride home the next day was not arduous as we left everything aboard and planned to return by the car the following week.

Another season done and dusted. Another dark, wet fall during which to write has arrived.

Eagle Island off Erris Head

The Stags

Showers missing us


Killybegs in the morning

The new small craft harbour already sold out

Aleria lifting out

Another fisherman coming in
View of the new marina in Killybegs

Aleria on the hard seen from our room at the Tara hotel

The new marina pontoons

Aleria's bottom after a year in the water. Very clean. Not one barnacle. 

Alex bringing closing down.


Popular posts from this blog

Top 30+ Sailing Movies

Top Ten Books about Sailing (non-fiction)

Top Ten+ Novels Based on Sailing (fiction)