Our beautiful Wild Atlantic Way

On Monday, Alex had to take his mom to Sligo for a cataract operation. So I had a whole day to myself. I've been bugging Alex to do something active for some time -- like go for a walk in the woods or on the beaches, but he's been wanting things like a burger in a pub or a bike ride. I want to stay away from people but enjoy the natural world around us. Not that I have to go far. It's right at the base of our driveway. 

But Monday, I wanted to see different. I haven't been out and about for ages. Since February, I've only been to Westport, Newport and Castlebar (once). And only to the supermarkets and pharmacy. I needed a change. 

So I got in Micky, my aging but fun Mini, and started down the road. Should I head over to Mulranny?  It was going to be windy and possibly a little wet. No, Mulranny might be a bit exposed to the SW. I would start with the Quay in Westport as I'd heard there were works underway. I could gauge how many people were out and decide on more later. Well, the parking lot had quite a few cars and quite a few walkers on the road but nicely socially distanced. That was a good start. 

Roman Island was very interesting, new stairs lead to the 'swimming pool' in the sea and there's a beach I never noticed before. We usually drove out and stared out into the Bay, never back toward the land. And there it is. A course dark sand beach. 

But I decided to drive on to Berta Strand. It's an outstanding area of natural beauty and dunes open to walking on by the public. There were more people than I hoped for on a Monday but almost all were walking on the beach, not on the dunes. So I took the high road. The lighting was lovely and the wind not too obtrusive. I had a lovely walk, letting people pass so I could be upwind of them. Sailors tend to think of things like that. 

It was wonderful to see a different view and a stunning one at that. I love this place. It's my go-to when I walk alone. Croagh Patrick looming above and the islands stretching out to sea. Clew Bay is a magical place. The fact that we have this amenity during a pandemic is soul-saving. 


























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 30+ Sailing Movies

Top Ten Books about Sailing (non-fiction)

Top Ten+ Novels Based on Sailing (fiction)