Dogs barking, light fading, and beauty in nature


I heard the surf crashing in the distance. The birds were singing at high volumes. As the sun began to set, the dog chorus began. One dog in one corner of the Ria sent out a message. 'Hey, Bros, how's it hanging?' They responded, in tandem, first one, then another, then many more talking back and forth in conversation, planning their next moves. It was clearly coordinated and has been every time we've been here. Doggie comms are definitely a part of daily life. Forget about the internet, they've got doggie power.



And the fires smoked along both shores in honour of St John's night. I remember Ivana Kupala in my younger years. The girls made wildflower crowns while the boys built the fire. The girls then released their floral crowns into the tide and the legend was that if a boy caught your crown, you'd be matched for life. It never happened in my experience but we'd convene to the bonfire to sing wistful songs log into the night. I hope the magic of that night still continues.

Sorry to be missing the neighbourhood gathering at the Quinn's. Next year!

But you know, feeling the boat swing gently in the breeze, changing our view according to its importance, I knew I didn't need to cross oceans or challenge myself otherwise. All I had to do was get here or any anchorage where I could swing to my heart's content. Gowla would do.



John's night. I loved being here at anchor on this night with nowhere to go. I loved watching the sunset with no purpose other than to absorb. I love being at amchor. I really don't need to go to sea except to get to this place. My ot in life is to swing peacefully at anchor. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 30+ Sailing Movies

Top Ten Books about Sailing (non-fiction)

Top Ten+ Novels Based on Sailing (fiction)