Surprise market



It was Sunday and sunny again. We never did get the promised rain despite seeing dark clouds on the horizon much of yesterday. Things are closed on Sundays so we were prepared to continue with boat projects. Alex wanted to empty out the aft locker because it was full of sawdust from one of the deck repairs. I was going to wash the decks of the sawdust and bird poop.



But after breakfast, I walked up to get rid of some garbage and see if the panateria was open, but instead, I walked right out onto a gigantic open-air market. The entire huge parking lot was jammed with colourful stalls. One end was reserved for clothing and the other end for food. Piles of dresses, trousers, blouses and shoes, handbags and socks, you name it was there. Food covered everything from hams and cheeses to breads, fruits and veg of all varieties, baked goods, garden plants, herbs, and more. Heaven! I ran back to the boat and collected Alex so we could enter the fray together. I didn't trust myself on my own.

We bought chunks of serano ham, sharp cheese, and rustic bread, apples, peaches and cherries, potatoes, lettuce, garlic, onions and a tomato. I was so glad the supermarket had been closed the day before. I scored a pair of shorts that fit perfectly - amazing. I resisted many other items I could have brought home. I am proud of my strength.

I returned later because I'd forgotten to take pictures but it was all broken down already. There were legions of gulls on clean up duty and the workers stacking their wares strategically in their vans was fascinating.

We once again we had a fab dinner in Bouzas, close to the waterfront at La Bodega del Águila, a wine and tapas bar. Terras Gauda, pinxo of shrimp, followed by sardinias y boquerones (salted sardines and fresh cured sardines - divine), and scallops drenched in oil with lovely dark bread. It was all we needed. It was on recommendation from the new crew of Grand Slam, Dermot and Margaret, with whom we'd shared drinks just before that we chanced dinner there.





Last loaves on offer.

Lots to do

All the vans were perfectly loaded.

Having these stands is a lot of work.

Clean-up involves repacking every pair of shoes in its box. 

Gulls on patrol. Lots of junk left behind.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 30+ Sailing Movies

Top Ten Books about Sailing (non-fiction)

Top Ten+ Novels Based on Sailing (fiction)