Book review - Murder at the Marina


While in Portugal, I downloaded and read Ellen Jacobson's debut novel.  I 'met' Ellen online on the Facebook group Women Who Sail Who Write. It's a wonderfully informative and supportive group for writers who mostly live aboard their boats. I have been very impressed with Ellen's contributions to the group and was very excited for her when she announced completion of her first novel.

I posted a review on Goodreads. I tried to share that review directly to my blog but couldn't get it to work. So here it is, with 5 stars. I loved it!  Well done, Ellen. And thanks for the entertaining read.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars




Murder at the Marina (A Mollie McGhie Cozy Sailing Mystery #1)

by Ellen Jacobson

I loved this debut cozy mystery from Ellen Jacobson. Started reading it as soon as I downloaded it to my Kindle but had to stop that day. When I picked it up again, I couldn't put it down and read it in one go.

Molly, an amateur sleuth and alien encounters buff, is hoping for diamonds for her anniversary. Instead, her husband buys her an old boat. After they seal the deal, their broker turns up dead on board. Her slightly nerdy husband gets weak at the sight of blood, but Mollie naturally takes matters into her own hands. She takes on the challenging but amusing task of investigating the suspects, all of whom are involved in the marina at some level. And of course, with plenty of chocolate to sustain her, she cracks the case. (BTW, she gets her diamonds, too.)

When I started reading this entertaining and slightly zany story, I immediately thought of Jimmy Buffet's writing style. Really easy and comforting to read. Although boaters will love it, it will appeal to non-boaters as well because the author does a great job of making the boating terms understood. I can't wait for the next installment.


Available in both eBook and print formats. Check out Ellen's very professional author website and informative blog

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for your lovely review, Daria! I really appreciate your support and encouragement :-)

    Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 30+ Sailing Movies

Top Ten Books about Sailing (non-fiction)

Top Ten+ Novels Based on Sailing (fiction)